Sunday, July 6, 2014

the list gets longer

Thursday clinic had quite a few difficult, mysterious, sad, or just plain unusual cases...

It started with a woman whose co-wife had bitten off half of her bottom lip. This is the second time I have seen a woman whose bottom lip was bitten off by a co-wife. What I want to know is- how do they get close enough to bite each other's lips during a fight? Seems quite difficult to do.

Then, I saw a woman with breast cancer. She had noticed a mass for six months which is a relatively short time here. Often women will wait for over a year before being seen for a breast tumor and by that time the tumor is often necrotic (rotting). Its terrible.

She came because she was starting to have chest and back pain.  Her tumor wasn't rotting, but when I examined her I found two masses. One was central in her breast and the other was fixed to her chest wall just under her collarbone. I listened to her lungs and couldn't hear any breath sounds on the side of the tumor. I tried to ultrasound her lungs. I couldn't see much so I moved to more familiar territory- her abdomen. I looked at a liver to see if the cancer had spread there. This is what I saw:
It took me a little while to figure out that I was looking at a huge malignant pleural effusion (fluid around the lungs) that was pushing the entire liver toward the center of the abdomen. Stage IV cancer. 
On x-ray we could see that part of her third rib had also been destroyed by the cancer. Not much we could do except offer to drain the fluid if her breathing became too uncomfortable.
After that I saw a series of less-acute problems most of which did not belong in the standard American "general surgery" category:
  1. An elderly woman who ten days ago "suddenly" couldn't open her jaw. Denied any trauma, etc. She couldn't eat anything that wasn't liquid. I sent her to the operating room to have her jaw re-located. 
  2. Man with non-displaced fracture of his 2nd and 3rd metatarsals. We put a short-leg cast on two weeks ago. Can it come off now?
  3. Two year old with a fluid-filled mass on the top of her head, there since birth. 
fluid filled congenital skull mass...anyone know what this is?
We saw her one year ago. The mass had grown about 1/2 cm since then but otherwise didn't seem to be causing problems. I tried to ultrasound it to get more information.

I'm not entirely sure how to interpret this...
       4. Man with history of leprosy treated 30 years ago for whom we amputated one of his legs for a chronic wound. I put in a call to our occupational therapist and we gave him the phone numbers for what we think is the only place in the country that makes prosthetics (although I have yet to meet anyone with a prosthetic made here).
      5. Man who was in a fight yesterday and had a deformed nose and jaw pain. Nasal fracture.
      6. Young, breast-feeding woman with a solid breast mass that had eroded through the skin and was exuding milk.
      7. Old lady who was in a motorcycle accident two weeks ago, but had lots of shoulder pain and couldn't raise her shoulder. X-ray:

Her dislocated shoulder
So, my five and a half hour “½ day” of clinic left me with about five days worth of reading topics added to my ever-expanding list:
1.     How to read a shoulder x-ray
2.     How to re-locate a shoulder…after ten days (thankfully the OR staff know how to do this without my help!)
3.     Jaw dislocation 
4.     Midline fluid-filled congenital skull masses. What is it? An encephalocele (brain)? Can you see a connection with the brain on ultrasound? When do you remove or observe?
5.     Operative indications for nasal fractures- when do you have to fix it?
6.     Masses in lactating breasts…eroding through the skin
7.     Chest ultrasound for pleural effusion
8.     Breast mass ultrasound
9.     Pediatric skull ultrasound
10.  Metatarsal fracture management

I was so tired after getting up at six am for teaching rounds that I went home and when I was about to take a nap, had to go do a C-section.

And that is why my reading list just keeps getting longer and longer!

No comments: