Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Family Vacation

We have spent the last three weeks in Williamsburg Virginia. Staying with T's sister and her family. Additionally Tab's parents were here when we arrived. It soon became apparent that Williamsburg is an epicenter of american history. There are dozens of historic places within 10  minutes from this house. Jamestown, Yorktown and even the recreated Colonial Williamsburg. Our first few days here we went to Colonial Williamsburg. It is a recreated 18th century Williamsburg. It is complete with historically dressed citizens demonstrating and explaining their jobs. Every structure and tool is made by the craftsmen that work at colonial Williamsburg using 18th century tools and techniques. There are carpenters, cobblers, weavers, etc. Each craftsman or craftswoman demonstrates their job and answers questions while doing so. The brick makers even let you participate in making bricks by walking through the clay. There are tons of historic buildings to see and even more museums full of artifacts from the colonial era. The restoration was supported by the Rockefellers and I assume it continues today. We bought annual passes, so I'm sure we will be back.

While Tab's parents were here we decided to take a family trip to Washington D.C. I had never been to D.C. before, but Tab had been there several times in the past decade. We spent three days looking at museums and government buildings. We saw many many things, but there are still many things we want to see. Did you know you have to write you congress person to get to tour the White House? Also, many things were closed, like the washington monument, the reflecting pools and most of the mall were under construction. But we did get to see many of the things that I wanted to see. We will be back!
We made it to the air and space museum. Someday I will go to the Udvar-Huzy center where they keep the large air and space craft.

Tab posed like the statue in the National Gallery


The Metro was a fun way to get back and forth from our Hotel.


This was the National Building Museum. I found it to be impressive inside and out. There are exhibits on city planning and architectural design and the like inside. Also, there is a twelve hole miniature golf course on the first floor. We played, I won. NBD.

T is posing in front of  Nathan Hale. Which was in front of the department of Justice. 


On our second day in DC Tab and I went solo for an evening. We found this restaurant in Chinatown. Nando's. It was good. So good, we went back with the whole family the next day for lunch!

I guess it is good to leave something left to explore. It will be something we can look forward to for many years to come.



1 comment:

Jen said...

I didn't know there were Nando's in America!!! They're a chain in England, which is where I've eaten it (and a chain elsewhere in the world I just discovered from a quick look at their website - they started in South Africa). It's Portuguese/Mozambican food. We used peri-peri spice all the time in Moz. :-)