Friday, April 26, 2013

Big post

As usual there is a lot that has happened here the past week or so. I shall share some photographic highlights. Click on them to make them bigger.
First is the animal highlights. There are all sorts of animals here. One night I was given a toad as payment for a glass of water. Kids do strange things.
This here is a bonafide hedgehog. They have fleas and pokey spikes. But my friend is not afraid to pick them up. We often see them scurry around at night. When frightened they roll into a ball.
This is my good friend Martin. He likes chicken skin and laying on cool cement floors. He comes over and does this  as often as he can.
 One of the biggest events lately is the arrival of rain. This is the first rainfall we have seen since we have been  in Africa. Coming from Seattle that is a big change for us. When the storm came it was amazing how much it felt like a midwestern summer thunderstorm. The wind picked up and was cool. The sky darkened water poured down. There was so much water so fast that there were rivers of mud and flooding hospital wards. No one was hurt but it created a lot of extra work. It has actually rained three or four more times since then.

This is our laundry getting an extra good rinse. As you can see the dirt has all turned to mud.
I really like this picture. It is big. Click on it to make it bigger.

 More Great news! We got  a  package from our friends in Seattle. It had some awesome stuff in it. I wouldn't have believed that I could get so excited about peanut butter. We  have peanut butter here but it is not the same. This week I realized one thing that I took for granted while living in america, Tortilla chips. They are amazing, cheap, and plentiful. tortilla chips are so hard to make by hand. Lucky for us. A team came here a few weeks ago and brought a tortilla press. They didn't want to take it home with them when they left, so they gave it to us! SCORE!
Ice cream recipe book will come in handy. I miss molly moon's. Tab is excited to have a stethoscope. I am excited to have BBQ lighters for lighting our oven. It is very difficult to light with a match. 
I took this picture from the water tower. It is of our town at night. Many of the lights are cars or motorcycles. Some are  televisions. 

No comments: