Friday, May 17, 2013

Random Stuff


The other day I was eating breakfast when I heard a knock at the door. I tried to open it. I was unable to. I thought, perhaps it is locked. I will get a key. I inserted the key and turned until it would go no more. I tried to open the door again. It still would not open. I turned the key the other way. It still did not open. By this time it had been a few minutes since the knocking. I decided to look out the window and see who it was. It was our baker and her husband. I told them I couldn't open the door. They said, "okay, and she cannot work for you tomorrow as planned, for she must go to Nigeria." I said, "okay, come back on Thursday instead." They agreed. I asked them to tell someone at the hospital shop to come and rescue me from my house. They left. I tried to get out the door again. I failed. I waited. I thought about other ways to get out of my house. There aren't any easy ways. The second door is stuck as well. It has been that way for years. Since I never use it I had not thought it important to be repaired. The windows all have bars on them. I am far too big to fit through the gaps. As I sat there waiting for someone to rescue me. The idea went through my mind that if there were a fire right now, I would be toast. Literally. I came up with some elaborate scenarios of possible escape through the attic. That was the only possibility I could think of. Finally I had the idea to call my friend Caleb. He can get me out, I thought. I called him, he sounded genuine in his commitment to get me out. But, he forgot. Eventually a man came from the shop. He believed the door to be just locked. I handed him a key through the window. He unlocked the bolt. He tried to open the door. He could not. He left and returned with more men. They could not open the door. Finally I pushed from inside while they pulled from the outside and the door burst open sending them to the dirt and me on top of them. I was out! Now, to find out why the door was stuck. Well, let's close the door and see why. We closed the door and guess what? The door was stuck again, with no one inside to push it open. Anyway, I was free, and I needed to get to work. So, I left. later I found out it was a piece of the door jam that was catching on the latch. They tapped it back into place and the door works a million times better. Perhaps now we will fix the other door.

I don't mean to bore you with complaints about heat. But, it has been over 115 every day this week. It is not that bad if you go into air conditioning a few times a day and have a fan. I am amazed at how we have adjusted to the heat. Our air conditioner has a digital thermometer on it. It is in Celsius so we were not entirely sure how cold the AC temperature was set to in Fahrenheit. One night a week or so ago we were discussing the temperature that we set the AC to. We decided to turn it up to 29 because 28 was just too cold. We felt like we needed blankets at that temperature. Well Tab looked up what 28 degrees Celsius was in Fahrenheit. Turns out it is 82 degrees. 82 degrees is a hot summer day back home. And here we feel like we need to bust out some blankets. Strange.

In other news: I am sick. I have a bad cold and headache. We may or may not go to the capital for vacation. Our pressure cooker works amazingly well. What usually takes six to eight hours to tenderize meat in a crock pot was accomplished in under two with this pressure cooker. We had some of our friends over last night. They brought us gifts from the big city. Bread, Pringles, cheese crackers, popcorn, and some candy. We went for a night swim with them. It was really cool hanging out with them for the first time in two months. No pictures this week. I haven't really had anything interesting to photograph. I did see an amazing sunset, I didn't have my camera though. I wish I did. Well, that's it,  See you later.

No comments: