Sunday, June 9, 2013

Good ole Lewi's

So, I came to Africa with three pairs of Jeans and one pair of dress pants. I thought that they would last. I was wrong. Between the sand and the hand washing, two of those three pairs of jeans have bit the dust. So, I had to go shopping, not something I enjoy doing, even in America. Surprisingly, there are no shopping malls here. However, there is a weekly market that sells many things like food, hardware, housewares, clothes, and many other random things. But selection varies widely from week to week.

the market
The clothes for sale are usually from some thrift store either in America or they are irregulars or seconds from Europe. The condition can range from almost new to worn out. To add to the difficulty of finding suitable pants is that most of the pants are for women. Since women here don't wear or buy pants the same women's pants show up week after week unsold. If you do find men's pants they are usually small or huge or some style that would make me stick out in a crowd. So, one day on my way home from the market I found these lovelies. A  pair of Lewi Strauss Jeans. They were NEW and the right size. In addition to them being a cool knock off brand they are actually kinda nice looking. 
Lewis
After this  purchase, my wearable pants total went back up to two pairs! The next week I continued to look for more pants. I found some mediocre pairs that I think will work until I make it to a big city again.

One other interesting thing I found in the market this week was a medicine man selling medicine. And by medicine I mean random animal body parts put together into a potion. He had water buffalo, crocodile, fox, and wild dog heads stacked in the front of his stall. There were strange animal pelts on the ground and walls. When I walked by he beckoned me to come closer and to buy some of his medicine. Presumably you could buy some of those animals and make medicine from them that would cure you of whatever ailments you have. I thanked him and told him I wasn't in need of medicine today. I so wish I could have gotten a picture of all the unusual stuff he had. Perhaps next week I will go back and try to get a picture.

A similar thing happened a few weeks ago, a man tried to sell me a necklace that would protect me from evil spirits. It even had a name, it was named after the deceased wife of the man that made it. He promised me that if I wore it no spirits could harm me thanks to the dead lady. Over the past several weeks this prompted a few questions in my mind. Are humans supposed to be afraid of spirits? If so, why wasn't he wearing it to protect himself from the spirits? Why did he let it just sit there on his table? If this necklace could truly protect me from spirits, why was it merely two dollars? Shouldn't it cost more than that? Actually, now that I think about it, the necklace reminds me of one of the sports necklaces that they sell in America. You know, the ones that supposedly increase your blood flow and or balance or the bracelets that improve your golf swing. You know what I'm talking about? Necklaces apparently, can do some pretty amazing things. 

No comments: