Saturday, July 6, 2013

Autopsy of a blog.

I now know how blogs die. It's not that we run out of things to write about. It's not that we don't want to write stuff. It's just that there's too much stuff to choose from. Oh man... I've done so much stuff in the past couple ofweeks. I don't know where to begin. I shall tell you of some of this week's interesting events. Thursday was fourth of July.... not a big deal here with the citizens of this country, however it was celebrated by some people here in our community. They are Americans. The kids dressed in red white and blue, then got their faces painted with flags and the like. Then, they got pots and pans and kazoos and accordions and marched around the compound banging, singing, and making a racket.  It was quite the parade. Yay America.

Later that day we had to say goodbye to some dear friends. They had been here for almost a year and I had worked everyday with both of them. It was super sad to say goodbye.  It was different than usual. Usually the people that leave have only been here a few weeks or a month or two. Or, they are coming back in a few months or next year. This time was different. Neither of them are coming back, probably ever. So, it was a real good bye, for a long time. We'll see them again sometime. Someday. Sai wata rana.

Today, Tab got up early and decided to make some cinnamon rolls. SWEET! She started combining ingredients only to discover that we had no eggs. Bummer, the baking stopped in its tracks. So, I was given instructions to find some eggs in town. I gladly took up the cause for the sake of cinnamon rolls. I ventured out into the town to look for eggs. The usual places were without. I was advised to continue on to the center of town. I kept asking, still no eggs. I eventually reached my friend's shop. He never has eggs in his shop but I knew he might be able to tell me where to find some. I told him my predicament and the first thing he did was yell at the random kid playing in front of shop. He told the kid, "Go! Find eggs! Bring me all you can find!" The kid ran off and my friend turned to me, smiled, and we continued our conversation.  A few minutes later the kid returned with a bucket of eggs. My friend picked out the ten best eggs of the bucket and put them in a sack for me. I went home. I was very thankful for my friend finding me some eggs. My language skills are definitely not good enough to find "so and so" in front of the house of "so and so" that is just past the duck pond  with no ducks and to the right of the three donkeys. Also, thank you kid for running as fast as you can to find this baturai (white man) some eggs. Thank you Tab for thinking of me and my liking of cinnamon rolls even though it didn't work out.
Not pictured: Shopkeeper friend, errand boy, messy kitchen, cute kids with patriotic themed clothing and face paint, tear filled faces of friends saying good bye for a long time as a plane awaits their voyage.

No comments: