Thursday, December 19, 2013

why now?

It may not always be an appropriate question. But sometimes I just can't help myself. I am curious. I don't understand. ..and sometimes the answer is important.

What causes someone to finally come to the doctor after waiting months or even years? Every day in clinic I see more advanced pathology then I ever did in training. Its "the worst" of this and "the biggest" of that.

Why do patients wait until their condition is so bad it often can't be fixed? What finally pushes them to decide to come? How many people never come? Likely it is a combination of lack of education, lack of money, and a fatalistic worldview...but I'm still asking questions... looking for clues. So I'll ask. "Why now? Why today?" Then, I try to figure out if we can help.

some people may find the following medical images disturbing

Here are some examples from the past few weeks.

An all-too-common story. Little boy whose dad brought him in 2 weeks after an elbow dislocation/fracture. His arm below the fracture was so tightly wrapped in the traditional manner that all the skin was dead and had to be removed.
Young boy complaining of trouble walking after a motorcycle accident two years ago. He came in because he has been having more and more knee pain. Check out his x-ray:

Yep, its broken!! It healed..just not straight and he's putting stress on the knee joint causing permanent damage.

Several years after an elbow dislocation...chronic nerve injury. Not much we can do.

there's  been something wrong with my foot for the past year...now we have to amputate

Advanced male breast cancer (there for a year). Breast cancer is more rare in men, but we have about 1-2 women a week come in with an advanced breast cancer similar to  this.

A woman my age...huge mass involving the lower abdomen and hip. I had to tell her that there is nothing we can do.

Two years with an infected, exposed tibia bone.  He sat on the floor in front of me because he can't walk (he can't straighten his knee). I asked him why he waited so long (Imagine two years as a kid...not being able to walk without help from his mom). He showed me his elbow fracture that had healed on its own (with a small residual deformity) and said he had hoped his leg would heal too. Now the only thing we can do is amputate...but at least then he'll be able to walk with crutches.

I bumped my elbow...

A year...probably longer than that for a tumor this size. Now she needs an amputation.

"Doc, I've had it 50 years...can you please take it off?" At least it looks benign. :)
Seeing all these people reminds me of how broken, physically and spiritually, we are. Sometimes its not as obvious...but we all need healing.

Psalm 103
 Bless the Lord, O my soul,
    and all that is within me,
    bless his holy name!
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
    and forget not all his benefits,
who forgives all your iniquity,
    who heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit,
    who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
who satisfies you with good
    so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.

No comments: