This week marks one year (!) since I started operating as an attending surgeon in Africa. Wow. And what a wild ride it has been. In the spirit of the annual report I sat down and tallied my cases for the past year. Here are some numbers I found particularly interesting:
- I've done over 750 major cases. Compared to an average of 200 major primary cases a year during my five years of residency that is a 375% increase in case load.
- 169 of those cases were C-sections...which I didn't do at all in training.
- 106 were inguinal hernias...without mesh. I only fixed three without mesh during training.
- 82 laparotomies to repair intestinal perforation from typhoid (you guessed it...never operated for typhoid in training)
- 17 Graham patches for perforated stomach ulcers.
I've also removed 11 bladder stones, 11 uteri, 9 [huge] thyroids, 13 hydroceles, 3 esophageal foreign bodies, one worm...and only 6 gallbladders. No laparoscopic surgery. Lots of pediatric surgery.
One thing is certain...there is no lack of work to do and no lack of variety! I am so grateful for all of you that follow this blog, leave encouraging comments, and otherwise support the work that is happening here. We couldn't be here without you.
1 comment:
wowza tab! you have been incredibly busy...congrats on a year of doing amazing things!
Post a Comment