Monday, June 9, 2014

To all the peeps!

We are approaching the quarter pole of our African journey. Our break in Europe for a couple weeks gave us the chance to step back and think about all that we have accomplished over the past year and a half. Tab did so many surgical procedures she practically completed a second residency. I learned so much about computer networks and bio-medical equipment that I feel like I could actually be of value to a medical center somewhere.

We also started to realize that our time here is winding down. I decided to make a list of goals that I want to complete before I leave. I know this sounds like a procrastinator panicking but, this was something that I couldn't do before.  It took over a year to begin to understand where we are and where we would like to see this place go. With a lot of work and little luck we might get an electronic medical records system up and running here before I leave. It will be huge task but also a huge step forward for this hospital. Tab is just hoping to make it through the next several months of every other night call. We'll see how it goes and keep you informed.

And finally, I would like to give a HUGE shout out to all the people that have sent us care packages over the past year and a half. The little tastes and sights of America have been an incredible encouragement and fun respite from the realities of being so far from home. But now, since our time in Africa is coming to an end (for now) we must ask that you cease and desist. Or, if you are going to send them, send them now! :) Well, you don't have to, we just might not be here to enjoy it. But there will probably be people here that would enjoy it for us...
This picture pretty much says it all. I couldn't eat all of these. But wait...I almost have!  I still have some. Fourth of July peeps woot woot.

1 comment:

sarah s said...

Look at all those PEEPS! I am still hoping you guys eventually get my package. I know it has now been 6 months, and it probably is just lost at this point, but maybe the trip from Alaska to Niger is just super duper slow!