Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Virginia Crafts

So, when you entertain children you have to stay on your toes. One day we were tasked with supervising the two younglings. We lined up activities one after another to keep them too busy to overwhelm us.
After Church we went to Moe's. Did you know that at Moe's children eat for free on Sunday? Well, they do. Did you know kids love lemonade, balloon animals, and TV? They do! So that's what was for lunch. Practically had to drag those kids out of there.
First on the agenda was fireworks. What kid doesn't like fireworks? None! Only cranky bitter people don't like fireworks. My apologies to the commonwealth for any disturbances that this activity has caused.
We had four rules for the sparklers. Don't walk/run/move while the sparkler is lit (stand still). Don't touch the sparkler. Don't touch someone else with the sparkler. Don't swing the sparkler around violently. They could only remember three of the rules at a time. 
Here we are making Rockets.
They did a great job making rockets.


Here we are making a rocket launcher.
Ah. Launching rockets. We did this for a few hours and everyone was sad that it had to end.
A few days before we made paper mache mountains and painted them.
Then we went put Volcano fuel inside of them and they erupted!

I had as much fun as the kids making the crafts. The only hard part was waiting days for everything to be ready. I learned a lot about kids in the past month. Like, never tell them one more book before bedtime. They will return with something like War and Peace, or a dictionary. Basically the largest book they can find.  They expect you to know they are pointing, even when you cannot see them. They also expect you to put your finger on words when you point to them, instead of next to the word. This  led to all sorts of confusion while doing word search. Also, once they awaken they expect you to be awake and to know what they were dreaming about. 
I know all you parents out there already knew this, but I found it interesting. All this fun was just a few dollars. We got the fireworks for a few bucks at a roadside stand. I found a pvc pipe for the rocket launcher in the trash. I got a bicycle inner tube from goodwill for two bucks. And a vinegar bottle in the recycling. The rockets were made of paper bags plastic bottle tops, also tape. The volcanoes were diet coke liter bottles inside paper mache mountains. It only takes one mento to make them explode very well. Now you can see why I thought all this was FUN!

No comments: