Saturday, April 13, 2013

Call

It is my first weekend on call- Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I don't have a pager, but that doesn't seem to be a problem. After all, it is almost impossible for me to go somewhere that I can't be found! And, although cell phone service can be unreliable here, I have a cell phone. We also have a land-line telephone system here that reminds me of my childhood.
Our telephone

How do I feel about being on call for the weekend? I don't know of any (sane) doctor who enjoys being on call. I think it has something to do with the loss of control...the unknown. The telephone sits there like a ticking time bomb...waiting to go off. When it rings, you go to the hospital to work for an hour, or two....or all night. You might save someone's life...or it could be a disaster. I cope by expecting that I will work all weekend. I sleep when I can. Any time away from the hospital is a bonus. And I remind myself that, when Monday night comes, someone else will be on call and I will be sleeping without interruption.

No comments: