Thursday, August 8, 2013

what the trader threw in

After a couple months of very few fresh fruits or vegetables, with the rains produce has returned!! Last week, in his excitement,  Luke bought several bags of produce from the trader's....mangoes, tomatoes, and bananas. He bought so much that she threw in a few "extras"- oranges and little fruits that we figured out were guavas.


I've never used fresh guavas before, but they have been sitting on the counter getting quite ripe. So, after so internet research and advice from friends, I set out to make some guava sauce.



1. Cut up the guavas, add some water, boil

2.put through strainer to remove seeds/skin (apparently you can eat the skin/seeds-but these seeds were hard as rocks)
3. Add some sugar and simmer. I added too much sugar, so I also added some lime and simmered until it started thicken.

Guava-liime sauce...tastes pretty good. I think I'll try it with some yogurt.
Maybe next time i'll make enough to try these...they look delicious!  from seriouseats (photo Carrie Vasica).

No comments: