Wednesday, February 5, 2014

on a good day...

Not gonna lie. Its been a bit rough around here lately. There hasn't been just one major tragedy, but multiple tragedies (big and small) and the every day struggle has been wearing me down. Patients dying, difficult operations, barriers to good patient care...the list could go on. I could write a blog post every day about the continual frustrations of trying to provide good medical care in a resource-limited setting. But then, no one wants to hear about that every day any more than I want to write about it every day. :)

Instead I will write about today. It was a good day. A really good day. Nothing earth-shattering happened...but it was just one of those days that things went well. Here is how it went...

I woke up before my alarm and actually felt rested. While making some tea, I checked online and learned that the Seahawks won the Superbowl. I don't get too excited about football...but I did grow up in Seahawk territory and I'm happy they won. :)  AND...it was cold enough this morning that on my walk to work that I wore my sweatshirt (it got all the way down to 75F last night)!

During morning report, I got a few words of encouragement (its nice to have some positive reinforcement sometimes).

Then, I rushed off to the OR for an emergency C-section for fetal distress. When I opened the abdomen, I saw an amniotic sac with a baby in it...but it wasn't in the uterus. My heart sank. Another dead baby. I took the limp, blue baby out and then... he moved!!! He was alive and started crying! What a happy surprise! A live baby is very rare after uterine rupture.

Between cases, one of the residents asked for help exchanging a gastrostomy (stomach) tube. The patient was a little six year old that had accidentally swallowed some of her mom's cleaning chemicals a couple months ago. The chemical caused her esophagus to scar shut so she can't swallow anything (even her own spit). She was very thin and dehydrated when she was referred to me for placement of a stomach tube.
Little F....she looked like she had gained about 10 pounds! She wouldn't smile or look at me because she was still upset that I had exchanged her tube. 
She will need esophageal replacement surgery, which we cannot do safely here. Hopefully we can find a way to get her to another country to have the operation performed.


Next, I did a washout and closure in a patient who had had a perforated stomach ulcer. Then, my next operation was for a girl in her late teens with a huge abdominal mass (she looked like she was 7 months pregnant). When I saw her in clinic, I couldn't quite tell where the mass was coming from on ultrasound. It definitely wasn't her uterus. Probably not her liver. At the start of the case, I told the team that the case would take one hour or six hours...turned out it took less than thirty minutes! It was a huge ovarian mass that almost literally popped right out. All I had to do was divide the vessels and tubes that attached it to the uterus.
the mass
checking it out

trying to explain where the mass came from in Hausa. its quite difficult since there is no word for "ovary" in Hausa!

When I cut it open I found clumps of hair, chunks of bone, lots of fluid and creamy white sebaceous material. This is good news because it means it was a benign dermoid cyst.
Last case of the day: an inguinal hernia. I am becoming much more proficient at performing inguinal hernia repairs without mesh (not something we do often in America). Now, the tissue based inguinal hernia repair is among my favorite operations here. It was a good way to end the day.


.




1 comment:

LadySurgeon said...

Hooray for good days! I helped with a uterine rupture a few weeks back and thought of you.