Saturday, May 31, 2014

crowd sourcing

How old?
When is your birthday? Most Americans grow up celebrating their birthday every year. Its kind of a big deal, especially as a kid. I bet you remember at least some of your more "important" birthdays like the day you reached double digits, the day you became a teenager, or the day you  turned 16 and could finally get your driver's license. What about 18 when you were finally an "adult," 20 and no longer a teenager. The big 21. After that, birthdays aren't quite as cool. You turn 30, life is nearly over! Nothing special happens except you are no longer in your twenties and feel old. That's me.  How did that happen so fast? And 40...it won't be long.

You can imagine that it was a bit shocking to me when I started asking people's ages here and the most common response was silence or "I don't know." What?!!! How can you not know how old you are? 

And, we had some really funny guesses on the patient's cards. Like the guy who said he was a 120! He looked old, but he wasn't that old. :)  Usually, I just accept the age that is written on the patient's card, but sometimes it is obviously wrong. Then I start the guessing process with my translator. How many kids do you have? How old is your oldest child? Are you in school?  etc...  

The  patient card of the boy in the picture said he was twenty...but there is no way he is that old. He looked about 13. So I asked his father, he said "I think he is twenty." Then, as often happens, most of the other patients in the room chimed in to help, "He isn't twenty!"  "He's probably 12"  "No, I think he is 15"  "He's not more than 14" "Does he go to school?  No, he's not in school." "We think he is 14."  So, I crossed out the "20" and wrote "14" on his card. Back to minor status for you!

1 comment:

Matt said...

I thought 14... but I'm terrible at guessing peoples ages. He may very well be 20, or 10... =P Praying for you guys.