Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The other side of the white coat

I'm used to being the doctor. Now that my practice of medicine has come to a temporary halt, I have found myself thrown full force into the patient's side of things. Let me tell you what you probably already know:
  • Dealing with insurance is confusing and painful. 
  • It can be hard to get an appointment with an obstetrician if you wait until your third trimester (even if you had a good reason). 
  • Picking a surgeon and preparing your dad for heart surgery is, well, a bit frightening. Even if you know what you are getting in to.
After spending way too much money trying to keep our prior insurance  [expensive because I'm pregnant], we finally figured out that if you aren't making any money Medicaid might be a good option. But, it can only be used in the state where you are a resident. Therefore, I am now a temporarily unemployed, pregnant, general surgeon on Medicaid in Washington state.  Didn't see that coming. 

Shortly after we got back from Africa, I tried to get in for my first official obstetric appointment. I was still covered by our insurance, but since I was considered "high risk" being 26 weeks pregnant without the routine pre-natal care, the OB office wouldn't schedule me. It took several phone calls from my doctor friend M who knew a tenacious doctor who was married to an OB to get me in. Whew.  It makes some sense...with malpractice and everything. After getting the appointment, everything else was fabulous.  I felt relieved after getting labs and being seen by the super-nice, smart obstetrician who was willing to see me despite my past. :)  The baby looked great on ultrasound and it was nice to confirm that we are indeed having a little girl!

A couple of weeks ago my dad called me while we were in Minnesota and told me that his heart doctor said he needs his aortic valve replaced and his doctor was going to schedule the operation in a couple of weeks. This came as a bit of a shock to me since I hadn't even known my dad had heart problems. He couldn't completely describe to me what he had, but I knew it was serious if he was having symptoms and needed his valve replaced.
"Blausen 0040 AorticStenosis" by BruceBlaus - Own work. Licensed under CC BY 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Blausen_0040_AorticStenosis.png#/media/File:Blausen_0040_AorticStenosis.png
Then, he asked me if I knew anything about the surgeon he was supposed to meet with. I didn't. Now, open heart surgery is a BIG deal. I wanted to be sure he needed it before he got the operation...and that he had the right surgeon and hospital. Turns out, its really hard to figure out who is a good surgeon without inside information. (As an aside, almost every surgeon I have worked with is excellent...but I didn't want to chance it). So, I made him an appointment with a surgeon that I know and trust...even if it was a little farther from home.

Luke and I made it to Washington in time for the appointment. It was very strange being on the other side of the "you need a major operation" conversation. But, the visit was great and my dad is scheduled for a valve replacement next week...as long as we can keep him alive until then!

Severe, symptomatic aortic stenosis...can't stop me.


No comments: