You know what is amazing?! Having a real, live orthopedic surgeon in clinic! Its like being a medical student again. As usual, patients arrive with orthopedic problems that I don't even know how to begin to solve. But this Friday, I was not alone in clinic struggling and trying to figure out what to do. Dr. J was there to help! After asking a some questions, examining the patient, and looking at the x-rays...KAZAM!!! within a few minutes Dr. J would deliver a diagnosis and a plan!
For example, check out this hip x-ray:
.JPG) |
| We saw many patients with hip pain and x-ray's like the one above. The right hip joint is in bad shape. Too destroyed for a hip replacement. |
But, did you know you could do this?
.JPG) |
Same patient, but the head and neck of the right femur bone was removed by Dr. J a couple years ago when he came. Guess what?! She can still walk! She has a significant limp, but is very happy because she doesn't have pain. Amazing.
|
Dr. J is here for a couple more weeks and I am looking forward to learning a lot more about bones so they aren't such a mystery when he leaves and I am the orthopedic surgeon again. :)
1 comment:
how great to have an expert. after you get some tips you'll be an orthopedist in addition to GP, Ob/Gyn, urologist and general surgeon!
Post a Comment